Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Try It Tuesday.....Going Green


Unless you don't ever read newspaper (do they even have newspapers anymore??), magazines, or go on Facebook, twitter, instagram or any other social media....you know that green smoothies/drinks/juices are all the rage still.

I'm not really a smoothie fan because they are usually loaded with calories and sugar but I have to admit I like the green juices. They are delicious and depending on how you make them, they are pretty darn good for you. Plus Sophie's great grandparents gave her a Vitamix for Christmas (she's one lucky girl) and it's so fun to use. 



My favorite green smoothie that I've been drinking a couple times a week lately is as follows:
- 1 cup of either water or coconut water
- Handful of spinach
- 2 stalks of celery
- Half a cucumber (skin left on)
- 1 lime or lemon (skin removed)
- Few sprigs of parsley and mint
- Half a banana, apple or pear

It's tasty, delicious and super easy to make. I drink it about 2-3 times a week in place of breakfast. 

I got this cute mug at TJ Maxx...a mustache still cracks me up.



Putting my RD hat on, I think a good tip is to keep the smoothies to 1 piece of fruit. Some recipes call for pineapple, apples, bananas, pears etc all in one and that much fruit can tend to spike your blood sugar levels. I like to try and use 3 vegetables for every 1 fruit. 

I'd love to hear your green juice recipes you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment