Monday, February 3, 2014

Bye Bye Baby (Momma Monday)

On Saturday, our little Sophie turned the big O-N-E! I am still amazed even as I type that out. She is no longer a baby and we've now officially moved on to "toddler". Someone get me some tissue (and a glass of wine)...I can't believe it.

In lieu of a big birthday party bash, Dan and I decided we'd rather celebrate her birthday with our little (but mighty) family...just the 3 of us. At first I felt a little guilty about not having some big, most likely pinterest-inspired birthday bash with all our family and friends but we had such a great time celebrating her birthday in a more intimate manner that I now know that foregoing a party was the right decision for us.

We really tried to plan the day to be "sophie-inspired". We went to a children's museum in Berkley called Habitot....super cute place with all these different themed areas for kids to play. Sophie had a blast. Then we went to an early dinner and came home for cake and presents. 




Looking back over the past 365 days of being a mom, I've really learned a lot and come to terms with many things about being a parent that used to bother me. It'a  melancholy celebration, I'm excited to have survived (and I think thrived) the first year of parenting and am looking forward to each day that comes, but it's kinda sad to think this year flew by so fast. 

Here are just a few things off the top of my head that I have learned the past year....

1. Every single cliche about how much you love your child from the moment they are born are 100% true! It's unexplainable

2. I never thought I could talk so much or have so many conversations revolve around poop

3. Tough as it is, I'm coming to terms with the fact that Sophie is going to get hurt. Nothing major, but she constantly gets scrapes, cuts, bruises, bumps her head, falls down, etc. But that's how she learns. I can tell her a million times not to climb onto the Sophie, but nothing quite works as well as her stumbling when she tried it and then she never does it again.

4. I feel no shame in admitting there are days when I pretend I have to go to bathroom simply so I can lock myself in a room for 5 minutes for some peace and quiet. 

5. I couldn't have survived without family and friends babysitting Sophie. As hard and as scary as it is to leave your kids for the first (and second, and third and fourth) time, I think taking time to still have strong relationship with dan (such as date night) has made us better parents. And now Sophie is great at having family/friends watch her.

6. Those designer purses that I used to covet now get left home a lot in place of a diaper bag that doubles as a purse or that expensive purse now holds bibs, pacifiers, cheerios and misc toys. 

7. Everyone has an option  of how they think you should raise your child. Most mean well (i.e. family that is only trying to help) but strangers are pushy. Sometimes you just have to smile, say thank you, then call up your fellow mom friends and vent about what a stranger just told you.

8. Cheerios are a god-send!!

No comments:

Post a Comment